Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Looking towards graduation

Wow, the last few weeks have just been crazy.  It is not the easiest thing to have both Bill and I in school plus learning this parenting thing.  Good thing Spencer is so cute because it really makes it easier to do all the work it takes to take care of him.  There is only one more month of school left and the idea of being done with school for the near future gives me mixed emotions: 1. I'm very happy for a little bit calmer life that will be coming; 2. I'm sad because I love school and learning in that atmosphere; 3. I'm so ready to be done with this crazy time with both Bill and I in school; 4. I'm uncertain what I'm going to do once I graduate with work. This is round two for me and it's still weird. I like the being married with a baby part though. It's much better than when I graduated with my undergrad. :)  I probably need to work, plus I want to do stuff with some of the things I learned the last couple years.  But really I want to be a stay at home mom and maybe work on the side and that means I'll have to go out and market myself and that part isn't so fun.  Hopefully the work I'm doing in my department will help me have a good resume to find some stuff to do.    We shall see.  


In the meantime, we took some new pictures of Spencer.  He's as cute as ever.  He's discovered his hands recently and likes to suck on them.  He is also smiling like crazy.  He grins at me all the time and I love it.  He's cooing all the time and starting to sort of half laugh.  I can't wait for him to full on laugh.  Pretty much he melts my heart.  Bill came to take him home tonight while I went to my evening class and I totally didn't want to let them leave.  I just wanted to walk right home with them and spend the evening together.  Today was the first day I put him in the stroller without his carseat.  It was awesome.  He's getting so big!  He can hold up his head really well these days, though sometimes he gets tired and he doesn't want to anymore and he slumps over.  That's pretty funny.  He loves to stand and gets so mad when we hold him laying down.  He only likes that when he's tired now.  I exercised for the first time besides walking yesterday.  I've been wanting to for weeks but have been so busy, but I finally started with a Jillian Michaels workout video.  Let me tell you, I am so sore today!  That's more because the video is harder than any other workout video I've ever used than because I'm that out of shape.  If you want a challenge, definitely buy one of her DVDs!  

And of course, all the fun Spencer pictures.  :)
Spencer likes to sit up, but for some reason he didn't like this much.  He hates it when we leave him alone, so that's probably why.  He's so social.
Look at that stylin' outfit he had for his blessing!  And those sunglasses of Vince's might be just a tad big. :)
All the wonderful family  members that came for Spencer's blessing.  Yay for family!
These are Spencer's first pair of jeans.  I think they're pretty much the cutest thing ever!  And the sweater just makes me happy.
So funny.  He thought it was hilarious.
Love this little face.  So cute!
And those eyes!  I can't believe how different he looks from when he was born.  I just love how pretty his eyes have turned.
He worked really hard to get his hand out of my swaddle to suck on it.  Apparently it tastes pretty good.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Spencer rocks!! I can't wait to meet him. You guys are such a cute family. Hang in there this last few weeks of school!

Merry said...

He is a dang cute baby! And you can do it! And you can handle being out of school too! You are such a competent woman!

Marianne Barker said...

Jolena, can you send me your address so I can mail this dang baby gift?? Fortunately it will be a while before he can wear/use it. I'm embarrassed to ask Suzanne again, because I've accidentally deleted it twice when she texted it to me!!
Marianne Barker--maribark@gmail.com
Thanks! I don't seem to have either yours or Bill's e-mails any more.

Rachael said...

Ooh, this is making me want my baby NOW. (Except not until after the semester is over, because I have too much grading to do right now.)

So...the work/motherhood balance is always an interesting one. I've found that it can be a little stressful to do both, but I think it gets easier as the kids get older. Mostly because I feel more satisfaction in my interaction with them, and I don't need the exterior stimulation quite as much, if that makes sense. But with a baby, it's hard to work, but it's also really rewarding. Like I said, it's kind of a weird balance. And I'm obviously still straddling that fence! Good luck as you figure it all out...one thing that's helped me stay sane is to keep in mind that it's constantly evolving, and what works in one stage may need to be adjusted for the next. So if you feel like you're always readjusting, I think that's a sign that you're paying attention to the changing needs of your particular family dynamic.

At least that's what I tell myself. :-) But honestly, I readjust every semester.