Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Primary

I got a new calling on Sunday. I'm switching off with another lady teaching the 5-year olds in Primary.  I'm sure, depending on who you are, you'll have varied reactions to this, but probably not super positive.  I, however, am ridiculously excited about this new calling. :)

A, I simply adored being in young womens in my last ward in Utah, but when I was released it totally blew me away the weight that lifted off my shoulders. I didn't feel it at the time and I wasn't anxious to get released, but it was a huge difference. I'm ready for a lower stress calling where I don't feel like what I do or do not do will have a serious impact on whether someone stays active/has a testimony/gains a testimony.

B, I love teaching. And kids are just so fun to teach, especially at this age when the world is just opening up to them. For heaven's sake, I spent two semesters in Moscow, Russia teaching this same age English.  After doing it once I couldn't wait to get back and have a go again. :) With these kids we actually speak the same language.  Hello, that will make anything easier!

C, I like being involved in things.  We've been here a month and a half and I've been itching for more ways to get involved in things now that we're all settled and healthy.  Here's at least one way to do that.

So there it is.  Get ready for play dough and construction paper and bean bags and pretty much any other fun thing I can come up with to entertain six or seven 5 year-olds for 40 minutes every other Sunday.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Neil has been the nursery chorister for the last year or so (we have about 60 kids in nursery, hence the separate calling). I think it's his favorite calling ever--hanging out with little kids, low stress, etc. Hurray for younger children! You will rock this! (And I hear you on the weightiness. I was released from teaching YW to teach gospel doctrine and with both of those there has been a definite level of stress that I haven't had with other non-teaching callings.)

Rebecca said...

That's my daughter's age. She has the best teachers this year, and it means the world to parents when the teachers actually want to be there. Have fun!

Dan and Katie said...

I love PRIMARY! I loved YW's too :)

Lorie S. said...

I just got called to teach Sunbeams so I'll be right there in Junior Primary with you. :) I've never been in young women's to compare but primary still stresses me out.

Jolena said...

I'd say they're about the same level of stress if you're a teacher. You still have to teach/entertain a bunch of youth/kids for a big chunk of time. I was the president though for the last year, and that was a whole different story. :)

Becka Babe said...

I know Liza is totally excited to have you for a teacher! And I know you'll do a great job. :) The five year olds in our ward are a really good bunch of kiddos.