Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rockin' Good Garden

Our container garden has been fantastic this year. We've had the summer of all summers for rain. It rained 17 inches in July alone a friend told me the other day. We're at 57 inches for the year or some crazy number like that. 48 inches or so is average. While our friends' gardens have kind of floated away this year, ours just flourished. Since our porch is covered and we have just the right amount of direct sunlight, I don't think we could have gone wrong. It makes me feel like I'm an excellent gardener. Hee hee! I'm sure another year will prove me wrong on that front. But I feel all kinds of confident for the moment.
This box has five tomato plants in it plus a row of peppers on the back side, all of which are producing. It's probably way too full, but it's doing great! We've had so many tomatoes and they're still coming, as you can see. Our peppers are just starting to really come in and I can't wait for lots of good, hot food in the next month.

These two buckets of peppers have done great too. I didn't even cut holes in the bottoms for drainage. I'm telling you, we couldn't have a better growing year. I'll try to do a few more things right next time around. :)

No comments: