Monday, January 13, 2014

Gradimatated

I've mentioned before here that Spencer was doing speech and occupational therapy to help with his eating issues. We've been doing it for about six months until this week. This week he graduated. Yay for him!

I'd like to say that means he no longer has any problems eating, but that would be wishful thinking. However, we have learned so, so, so many things and he's made leaps and bounds in his ability to deal with this issue that is so hard for him. We had gotten to the point where we went to the sessions and he was happy to do whatever they wanted there, but it didn't translate to him doing that at home. We together decided this was a good place to stop for now. We'll check back probably in the fall if we feel like there is a need, but I don't think that will happen. If anything, I've learned so much I think we'll be able to handle any new challenges that come up.

Spencer's issue has always been that he struggles to try new food. It scares him to pieces. We tried so many different things to help him, and I feel like we've gotten to a much better place now. He's not scared of eating at the table. He doesn't freak out about food. We can communicate that he does or doesn't want to try something. It's going to take years to not be a super picky eater, but the lines of communication are there now and we are all in this together.

I think the most valuable thing coming out of this therapy is actually what I've learned. I'm sure I will learn this again in the future, but what I really learned is to not compare my kids to the "norm", whatever that is. It's not like I intended to, but when you start to see issues with your kids, it's so natural to start looking around and making comparisons. I've realized over the course of the last six months that Spencer is his own little person who will develop in his own way, and that is not comparable to anyone else. He is ridiculously advanced in some areas and not in others. But everything comes. At first I worried he was going to have all these major problems, but I don't feel that way at all anymore. He just is going to do things the way he does it. If i try to force him into some framework that seems normal, I will just be frustrated. It was a great learning experience for me. It helps with Genevieve too and our future kids. I have learned, at least a bit, how to just deal with each of my kids individually and let them be how they're going to be. I'd call that a huge success.

So yes, we've graduated from speech and occupational therapy, me as much as Spencer. Yay for us!

And now here's a few cute picture of the kiddos from this week.
Genevieve wanted to wear Spencer's shorts. She loved it when we let her. :)

This is the kids' new favorite nest. They alternate between climbing up on all the blankets or pulling them all down to nest in.

No comments: