Friday, March 27, 2015

Who decided health insurance was a good idea?

I have spent hours on the phone today and last week and the week before and the week before, seriously for over a month, trying to get the insurance worked out for a helmet Aaron will likely need next month. It's not over exaggerating to say the whole process fills me with rage. I've probably talked to 20 people along the way to no avail.

The ridiculous part of this whole thing is I'm good at this kind of thing. I know how to talk to people to get help. I work in the healthcare industry, so I can talk the talk and share the details I need to so reps will help me. I took a negotiations class in my grad program that helped me even more learn how to work better with people.

Yet it doesn't seem to matter. The insurance industry drives me bonkers. I already know that my current insurance will not cover the helmet, as per my specialist. Yet can I get a straight answer from them? No. Can I get help to switch insurance? Not really. I've talked to scores of nice people, but the industry is so siloed it takes weeks and months to process everything and that is too long. This process has to go faster. So I keep calling people. I keep trying new ways of making my requests, hoping I will get the answers I need. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking this isn't going to work. Their ineptitude is going to result in me getting billed several thousands of dollars. And let me tell you how well our grad school income accommodates those kinds of bills. Yeah, it doesn't. Not without stealing it from other necessary areas. Ugh.

So maybe send a few prayers our way that either this insurance thing will be worked out, or even better, Aaron's head will reshape itself on its own and we can drop this whole process. Oh, and pray that I can keep my sanity because it makes me want to break things every time I get off another phone call that hasn't resolved my issue. We've got 11 days.

No comments: