Sunday, September 27, 2015

It's one of those good phases

We had an excellent weekend. It feels like we've hit one of those good phases in child rearing. This of course means that something huge will come up like next week, but for now, today, this weekend, it feels a lot more smooth.

Spencer and Genevieve are so fun these days. I had a girl's night Friday night and decided to take Genevieve along. She charmed everyone there and when we tried on all the clothes (it was a Lularoe party), she tried on her own little dresses and twirled in them and just had a delightful time. She even got to bring one home, so that was cool. Afterward she was so happy and told me, "Mommy, that was a really fun party." Just having my little girl be old enough to express that kind of thought to me makes me so happy. I foresee lots more awesome girl's nights out with her when we leave the boys to their devices. :) She is really great to have one-on-one. So well behaved, such a lover of life, interested in everything around her. It's awesome.

Spencer is also amazing one-on-one. He's in preschool now and completely flourishing. He skips his way out every day to tell me what a great time he had. He loves his teachers and he tells me about his friends, and about what he did at his stations and how they do all these cool things. I'm so, so glad we decided to put him in preschool. I knew he would love it, but seeing it play out makes it that much better.

And then we've got Aaron. I don't think I can ever even do justice to what a perfect addition he has always been to our family. He is the sunniest little guy. He is walking everywhere, exploring like crazy. He could spend all day puttering around the yard and be happy as can be. He eats like a champ. Literally, at dinner tonight we had pork chops and a cauliflower mash thing like mashed potatoes. Amazing, btw, but Aaron just dug in and ate an entire pork chop on his own. He's 14 months old. This kind of blows me away. It is so easy to make him laugh. We hardly have to do anything to get him to giggle at us and he definitely inherited Bill's ability to do something funny at just the right instant to make everyone laugh. He's already got that perfect sense of comedic timing.

We went to Stumphouse Tunnel yesterday, which is an unfinished train tunnel turned outdoor monument. All the kids, Aaron included, were so excited to walk all the way to the end of the tunnel. It is amazing to have three independent kids able to walk wherever they want. We've spent so many years carrying babies, and I'm sure we'll do more of that, but for now our three are at a perfect point and I just love it.


No comments: