Thursday, March 3, 2016

There are blessings in even the hardest experiences

I've struggled a bit with the idea of writing anything about the last 10 days here on my blog. My world got flipped upside down as a result of a simple phone call two Mondays ago informing me my dad was back in the hospital after a visit the previous Sunday. That phone call triggered a series of events that included all of my siblings scrambling to get to Utah as fast as possible to get to my dad's bedside. We all made it. We were all there surrounding him as he passed from this world three days later, now a week ago.

I haven't experienced a week this difficult in my recent memory. It was so, so hard. At the same time there were blessings interspersed throughout. It was incredible to be with my siblings together a mere six months after our last time doing that, when before that it had been 13 years. The spirit we felt throughout the experience was tangible. I felt bigger emotions than I've felt in many years, both good and bad, but all were poignant.

And through it all I got to celebrate a wonderful man, one who cannot be replaced and will be missed greatly. I've attended a lot of funerals. My dad's was special, and not just because it was him. He was a special man, unique, and the stories that were shared, the songs that were sung, all showed that.

It still blows me away that he is gone so quickly. I will miss him more than words can express. It is going to be a long time before I see him again, but I know that I will indeed see him again. He will no longer be in pain. His body will be perfect. And it will be worth every moment we've been apart.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

It will be! I lost my sister in a similarly quick and unexpected manner in December. Thank you for sharing, you'll be glad to have this record to look back on! What peace the knowledge of the gospel brings!