Bill and I had plans to fly out to Cancun last night for our honeymoon that we didn't really have when we got married in January. We've been planning it for months and were so excited to go. When we got to the airport, we found out my ticket was made in my maiden name and when I changed my name with Delta's records, they failed to change the ticket. They wanted to charge us $200 to make the change, which is absolutely absurd. They gave us no service and wouldn't help us at all. We ended up getting our tickets refunded and headed home rather dejected late last night. The hotel we were staying at in Cancun was a free deal that we got by going to a presentation while we were engaged, so we thought we'd lost it by not being able to get there on the flight. Needless to say, last night we didn't feel so happy or great.
However, when we woke up this morning, we found out that all non-essential flights to Mexico have been cancelled because of the swine flu that is going around down there. It's really bad and over 100 people have died from it in Mexico. If we had gone last night it probably would have been a very bad idea. There's a good chance we wouldn't have made it out of Atlanta where we had a stopover scheduled or something else bad might have happened.
That being the case, we called the travel agency that had booked the hotel this morning, hoping to get the trip transferred or at least our $100 deposit back. Their response? We could change it to a specific date if we wanted, but only make those changes today, and it doesn't matter that we don't know if the swine flu will be over by whatever date we pick. Oh, and if we want to change it, we have to pay $350 to do it. And no way can we get our deposit back. That's final regardless of if the state department has basically told everyone not to fly to Mexico. Does that travel agency care? Nope!
This hasn't been the best start to this week. Definitely not.
7 comments:
That's awful! I know how much you were looking forward to this trip. I hope you guys find somewhere else to go that doesn't have the swine flu. At least Delta gave you a refund. Hope the rest of the week goes better.
Sorry to hear about the canceled trip...its always a disapointment. I promise to make you a good Mexican meal when you come to visit to help with the dissapointment.
:-(
Es bueno que no se enfermen de influenza en México, pero...
I saw the same thing happen to a girl at the Spokane airport. Seems like they should have a better way of dealing with the situation since marriage, name changes, and travel all sort of go together and aren't exactly uncommon.
Sorry about the lameness. I hope you guys get your honeymoon somehow.
I'm so sorry, Jolena!!!! This just plain stinks!!!!! I was worried about you guys this morning. We were all concerned trying to figure out what was going on. I'm glad you won't have to worry about the flu, but that doesn't seem to be much consolation, I know. I hope you'll be able to find something else to do. Love ya!
Thanks for all the support everyone! Bill and I had some retail therapy today (we went shopping at the factory outlets in Park City) and we are feeling somewhat better about things. Wish the trip hadn't been lost, but I'm glad we're not going someplace people are dying from the flu! We got our money back for the flights, so we'll put that to good use saving towards a digital piano and maybe some other toys in the short term.
I'll add my condolences to the bunch. I'm glad you had a decent day today, though, and have fun alternative plans for the money.
That is so disappointing! I can only imagine how upsetting that would be! Although, I'm sure you don't want to have the swine flu, but I can't imagine being all packed and AT the airport and being turned away like that. Ugh! I'm sorry! Hopefully you guys will get to go somewhere cool soon!
Post a Comment