Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sewing Projects!

I spent the first few days here in Henderson tying up loose ends with my TA job.  I'm still doing that really, but now it's just the final projects.  The last big project is about done.  This week I've finally been able to really relax and do a few things I want to do.  And what are those things?  Sewing!  I've been waiting to get down here to work on a bunch of projects for the baby that I didn't have time to do during the semester.  The last two days I have made two car seat covers, two receiving blankets, two covers for my boppy pillow, and I still plan to pretty up some cloth diaper burp cloths. I would like to make a baby carrier as well, but I'm waiting for my parents to bring the pattern down next week on their way down to Arizona.  I conveniently forgot it among the rush to get out the door last week. Oh, and I'm going to try my hand at a cute moccasin pattern Tori made and put on her blog.  That will be so fun too.

My projects all turned out so well!  I haven't really been able to sew anything for a very long time and I forgot how much I enjoy it.  I'm mostly done now and I totally wish I weren't.

Anyway, onto the projects.  The first two are my boppy covers.  The green polka dot one is out of minky.  It was a beast to sew right, but it works perfectly on the pillow and I love it.  I wanted to do a second one just because, so I used cotton to make it, and it didn't work nearly as well.  It will be fine as a backup, but since it doesn't stretch, it doesn't fit nearly as well.  The material is adorable though.  Those bugs are so cute!

 These are the two receiving blankets I made.  They're flannel and different material on either side.  The red material is actually cars.  Kind of hard to see, but so cute.  The blue on is trains.  The yellow side is yellow with brown animals and the green is just a random pattern that Bill found and both of us really like.  They're so soft and they were ridiculously easy to make.  I found a blog post online where a lady put ric rac around the outside edge, and that was super cute.  I might have to do that for a gift sometime. 
 These might be my favorite of the projects I did.  Two covers for our car seat.  You can buy these things on Etsy for anywhere between $40-$50.  I can't believe how expensive they are.  They are SO easy to make.  The first one is hands down my favorite.  I love the colors!  The turquoise fabric has green turtles all over it and then I just love the lime green on the flip side.  I just used velcro for the straps and it works perfectly.  Suzanne was nice enough to let me use some of her fabric for this, so it was free except for the velcro.  Yay for that!

 This bug fabric was Suzanne's as well.  Since it's winter, I wanted to make another cover that is warmer, so the bug fabric is cotton, but the blue fabric is corduroy.  Hopefully that will keep the wind off a bit better.  Bill and I picked up the corduroy for less than $10.  Such a good deal for this very useful little cover. 

 And last but not least, our super cute car seat.  I absolutely love the hounds tooth pattern  and the green trim is fantastic.  I can't wait to have a baby to put in this next month!  My guess date is one month from today.  Yay!  I'm getting more and more uncomfortable as the days go by.  It's nice to be on vacation though so that I can do things at my own tempo.  This vacation is fantastic.  I haven't had so much time off in a row in a long time and it is just really nice.  Hopefully I'll be rested and ready for the crazy marathon of a semester by the time we get back to Utah on the 3rd.  Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

cool! you are always so productive and good at finishing your projects.

Rachael said...

Did you use a tutorial to make the car seat cover? After years of using a blanket, I really want a "real" car seat cover that will stay put and doesn't cover the handle--I'd love a link if you have one!