Saturday, July 7, 2012

Finished!


I'm quite proud of this little project I just finished.  I've never thought I was all that creative, particularly in comparison to several of my siblings, but over time I've discovered it's more that my creativity just comes out in different ways than theirs.  I'm not so good at original thoughts, but I can copy and modify like a champ. :)  The middle stocking is what I had to start with.  My mom made it for Spencer last year and I love it.  She made similar ones for me and all my siblings when we were kids, and it's one of those memories I love and wanted to pass on.  I decided to make matching stockings for Bill and I and our new little girl, but I came up with one additional idea too and just decided to go for it.  If we have a girl for our third child instead of a boy I guess I'll just have to make another. :)

I crocheted the snowflakes and did the rest out of felt.  I also added a snowflake to Spencer's stocking to help it go more with the general theme.  These things seriously cost me like $10 to make including everything.  Okay, maybe $15 because I had to buy the liner I used twice since I cut it out too small to begin with.  Oops.  You can see the red polka dots just peeking out of the stocking on the far left.  The lining isn't sewed in on that one because I don't have a name on it yet.

I wanted to get our names embroidered on them, but it is seriously expensive to do that, like $10 a piece or something crazy, so I ventured into the world of hand embroidering.  I wouldn't say it's my favorite thing to do.  Well, that's an understatement.  I really didn't like doing it and it took forever, but it turned out so well.  I'm quite pleased with the finished product and am just super happy I'm done embroidering. The penguin one is for our new little girl, but I'm not ready to post her name on my blog, so you'll just have to wait a couple months if you don't know it already. :)

So I really like how they turned out.  We haven't had stockings since we got married, so I'm glad we do now and I just love them.  Hopefully the kids will appreciate them when they're older.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Wow, Jo, that's very impressive! Well done!!

Suzanne said...

they are darling! Im sure Gertrude will love her stocking---whoops! now everyone knows her name! sorry!

Tori said...

They are super cute! And I totally agree with you about hand embroidery, it kind of stinks.
That's awesome that they all match.

Lorie S. said...

They look great! Good job!

Megan said...

Cute little stockings! They look easy enough to make...I should make some for this year.

Lisa said...

So cute!!