We don't have a TV in our house. We can find pretty much anything we want to watch online on Netflix, and we just would rather avoid some of the hard decisions that could come if we had a TV. Don't be fooled though. We're a very tech savvy family. We have a number of computers, phones, and other devices and thoroughly enjoy them. But I've been very happy so far with how Spencer has developed his playing skills without a TV around.
However, our newest techy device acquisition is a pair of Android tablets that we picked up at Costco a month or so ago. I didn't think I wanted one. Yeah, I was wrong. Both Bill and I love them. And guess who else loves them? Spencer! He is completely certain both tablets are his personal property and he can play his games on them whenever he chooses. It's quite the exciting transition. I can't say I'm completely happy about it, yet it's incredibly helpful at times to be able to give it to him and have him captivated for long periods of time. The kid has learned so fast how to navigate to where he wants to go. It's mind boggling to see what a not even two-year old can do on it. I'm very happy that I will have mine around for the long, long plane rides to Atlanta in three weeks, as it really does keep his attention for a long time, but I sometimes wonder if playing on the tablet is a small bit of what I wanted to avoid having a TV around. But they're not going anywhere, so we'll just have to figure out the limits on them as time goes by. I definitely don't regret the purchase, so I guess I get what I paid for on all accounts. :)
1 comment:
isn't everything his at that age? :)
i had always envisioned never having a tv in our house, but as an avid sports fan, I don't think I could survive without it. i don't think technology is harmful with a little boundaries, so I'm sure the peaceful, not-so-worldly home you envision is still perfectly within reach even with tablets and other technology too!
Post a Comment