So this bed, it's built now. Well mostly. We did a trial run Friday night of having it put together. We brought our mattress out into the living room and set it up on the frame and slept there. It was awesome and so strange to be three feet closer to the ceiling after sleeping for nearly a year on the floor.
I made one awful discovery when it was all assembled. Somehow, and I have no idea how this managed to happen, but somehow the bed frame is actually four inches longer than it needs to be. I was so appalled when we put the mattress on and there was extra at the top. The width is perfect, but somehow the measurements are for the length of a cal king, not a regular. Yeah, cue thoughts of how I could possibly fix it, realizing there's no possible way without redoing two-thirds of the bed, and Bill repeatedly telling me it's an awesome thing because adding a headboard will work perfectly and make it awesome. The jury is still out for me, but that and the fact that I had a tool borrowed from a friend that I needed to return yesterday, prompted us to buy the wood and go ahead and build the headboard Saturday night. It's a good two inches wide or so, so it will definitely help and I think we'll be able to make it all work out pretty well, but holy cow, I couldn't believe that had happened when I made the discovery. I haven't actually put the bed together with the headboard yet, so we'll have to see how it all works out. We modified it to sit on top of the bed frame instead of being screwed to the end, so that should make a big difference. So yeah, that whole DIY thing sometimes ends up with comedic mistakes that leave me shaking my head. This thing cost too much money to redo, here's to making it work and being happy about it! :)
This week is going to include building some drawers, which is tricky making sure they are exactly the right size to fit in the tracks, and then staining the whole thing. It's certainly going to take a good amount of time and I hope we'll be sleeping on the finished product by this next weekend. Fingers crossed!
 |
| The headboard. I love this thing. It turned out beautiful and I can't wait to stain it and see the finished product. I need to sand it a bit first, but that's it! |
 |
| All the pieces of the bed, cluttering up our living room. One thing I will really appreciate in the future is to have a garage or even better, a workroom. |
 |
| The end section, finished save for hardware, which I'll put on after it gets stained. Those drawers are big enough for my children to comfortably fit in. They're awesome! |
No comments:
Post a Comment