Since I went to college I have taken a number of international trips and worked at various places around the country. It never failed that every time I went somewhere where it was hard to get home easily, my dad had a medical emergency that scared the pants off of all of his family. When we moved to South Carolina I had hoped that trend would stop but sure enough, he's had at least two major hospitals stay since we've been here and unfortunately his health has deteriorated significantly in the past two years. I don't really have the resources to fly out to Utah just anytime, but the opportunity presented itself recently and I jumped at the chance.
Aaron and I flew out to Utah the morning after Bill turned in his last project for the semester, and he was able to stay home with the older two kids while I enjoyed a fantastic trip for five whole days. It was lovely.
I made it a priority for this trip that I didn't want to cram it full of bouncing from place to place to see folks for a bit, but instead tried to have some really quality time with my family, specifically my dad and my grandpa, who is also quite a bit older and who knows how many years he has left on this earth. I feel like I accomplished just that, plus a bit more. It was an awesome trip.
I got to see all my siblings that live in the area, had some really quality time with my parents, and spent a lovely afternoon with my grandparents. I got to see my Ashman family too the first and last day I was there, which was fantastic. Everyone met Aaron. I got to meet my niece Gracie, who could be Aaron's twin. She is seven weeks older than him, and they look uncannily similar. He is at least a pound bigger than her, which is kind of crazy, but they look very similar and on top of that they have very similar facial expressions. It was cool to see such strong similarities between cousins.
As I flew into Utah I felt like I was coming home. Not to my current home, but to my family home. It's kind of funny because while I lived in Utah for 12+ years, I always say I'm from Colorado because that is where I grew up. However, it's been 14 years since I lived there and I don't have any family there anymore. They're in Utah. So that really has become home, which both surprises and pleases me. It really is a lovely place. I'm not sure Bill and I will ever actually live there again, but it's delightful to be able to go back there to visit both sides of our family.
 |
| Asleep on the plane ride over. I had to wake him up at 4AM to leave for the airport. He was pooped. I woke up at 3:15AM, so I was pooped too. :) |
 |
| Sleepy after our flight and happy to no longer be in my arms or front pack. |
 |
| With his beloved Grandma Suzanne |
 |
| My dad motors around in a snazzy little wheelchair these days. Aaron had a great time driving with him. |
 |
| Discovering the favorite baby toy at Grandma Jones' house. |
 |
| The twinners. He was pretty cranky at the family party we had Saturday night, especially compared to Gracie, who was happy as could be. |
 |
| She thought she needed to help them with their toys/steal them. Classic 2-year old behavior. |
 |
| See? Uncannily similar. |
 |
| They started trying to take toys from each other. |
 |
| I love this picture. It's just from my cell phone but I caught just the perfect moment. |
 |
| My lovely visit with my grandparents. |
 |
| Aaron has a special place in his heart for both his grandmas. It's heartwarming. |
 |
| He got introduced to my grandparent's dog while we were there and it was love at first sight. These two were both in heaven together. |
 |
| Aunt Megan |
 |
| Aunt Miriam and Hillary |
 |
| They are going to have beautiful children, though I'm pretty sure they won't look anything like Aaron. :) |
 |
| He was so pleased to be laying in his own seat on the plane. I had to pick him up for takeoff and landing and he was not amused. |
 |
| Little engineer in training. He examined this "beam" in minute detail. |
No comments:
Post a Comment