Being in a PhD program is a mixed bag. Your time isn't really your own. If Bill's advisor tells him he needs something right away, Bill leaves and goes in to take care of it. He has spent numerous nights and weekends at the lab doing extra projects. We survive on a pittance of an income. We dream about someday actually building a savings and saving for a house and not qualifying for government programs and little things like that. :)
However, in our particular instance there are some really good things about being in grad school. Clemson is a lovely place to live. There are mountains nearby with great hiking, several lakes if we want to do water sports, a fantastic ward at church. On a regular basis Bill actually works pretty awesome hours, which I know is totally different from some grad programs. He has a ton of flexibility, so if I need his help during the day, he can switch things around to help me out. He works a pretty normal schedule each day, in his case going in pretty early and coming home at about 4PM. I keep reminding myself this is a total oddity so enjoy it to the fullest as it will probably never happen again.
One of the best perks we get for being here is that Bill's lab is a wind tunnel that has just about every tool you could imagine. We have borrowed a number of tools to improve our yard and work on woodworking projects, etc. Most recently Bill told me that they have a burn pile full of perfectly usable wood that they've discarded after various research was done with them. So in the last few weeks Bill and I have gone scavenging and been able to salvage a bunch of it and put it to good use.
We found a rickety old swingset in our backyard when we moved here and put up a couple swings, but it was really not very usable, so I used some of the scrap wood I got to build a new one. For the price of a bunch of hex bolts we have a working swing set that is much sturdier. I'm actually going to build a second one with a longer top beam so I can fit three swings on it and use the one I already built for something else.
After I built the first swing set a friend asked me to build some stuff for her, including a porch swing, which got my gears turning and I was able to find a plan for a porch swing that I could build with more of my scavenged wood, so I've been slowly building that of late. All I have left to get for that is the chain to hang it, and I need to put a few more coats of oil on it. So it is very close to done. I love how it is turning out. The stain is my favorite color. I've tried other colors but always gravitate back towards this one, red mahogany. I will hang it on the first swing set as soon as it is done.
So it had been a while since I had built anything because I didn't have the funds to get enough wood to build any of the projects I have in my queue. It was a huge blessing to find out about that wood at Bill's lab. I figured out what I spent and I had to get $20 worth of bolts for the swingset. I'm $32 into the porch swing hardware and will need probably about $15 more for the chains. I need to purchase one piece of wood for the second swing set I'm building plus another $20 worth of bolts. So for less than $100 I will have a swing set for my kids, a porch swing, and a stand to hang it on. I can't buy even one of those things for that price. If I were interested in building to sell to people, I could make tons of money on these. I do a bit of that here and there, but not as my job because fitting it in around the three kids is a bit complicated.
Folks, this is why I got into building in the first place. It is so stinkin' affordable. I can have some of the things I want on the budget I have. I've taken to picking up a few pieces at a time for these projects so it doesn't feel like $100 dropped on them either. $10 here, $10 there, awesome new usable pieces. Seriously, this brings me so much contentment. I'm doing the same thing for a console table I intend to build out of nicer wood once I accumulate all the parts I need. There's a slowly growing pile of wood next to Bill's side of the bed in our room. I get a strange sort of satisfaction seeing it grow. lol.
And it's things like this that make the grad school slog a little less of a slog. Someday we'll be done and hopefully finances will be a bit better. But for now it's okay. We're happy. We have what we need and some of what we want. It's a good place to be.



No comments:
Post a Comment