Sunday, January 22, 2017
The most memorable anniversary and birthday week to date
What a week! Surgery Monday, anniversary Tuesday involving laying on the couch all day, more convalescence Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday because hey, this was just a minor surgery with little recovery. Unfortunately not my experience, but it is what it is. Yesterday was mine and Spencer's birthday, and while it was pretty low on my list of good personal birthdays, it was really fun to celebrate with Spencer, so I'm going to talk about that instead.
Friday afternoon I picked up Spencer from school and told him Saturday was his day and he could pick whatever he wanted to eat and tell us what activities he wanted to do. I'm not sure I'll be able to fulfill all his dreams quite so easily in the future, but this year he was a pretty easy case.
He wanted German pancakes for breakfast, but he wanted to make them because he knows how. Except he wanted Bill to put them in the oven, because ovens are hot. Smart kid I've got. 😀 Then he wanted breakfast dessert. I told him every other day of the year there's no such thing but today, today he can have dessert after every meal. lol. He picked fruit snacks, the special ones. Turns out those are the normal ones. Again, it's never going to be so easy to fulfill his wishes again.
Lunch he wanted some muffins and maybe some crackers. I asked him what kind he wanted and he said well, I'm not sure. I'll get back to you on that. I figured he'd be super happy if I made him chocolate muffins, so I pulled out a recipe I had saved to try and made him some double chocolate chunk muffins, which of course went over supremely well. 😂 They were so tasty. A total contender against Costco muffins but they didn't make us feel like we'd been punched in the gut after eating them. Chloe got in on the action of eating those and boy was she a fan.
Dinner he wanted Little Caesar's pepperoni pizza and red chocolate cake with red icing. Red is his current favorite color. I planned to make some red velvet cake, but had a surgery recovery hiccup and ended up napping for a couple hours in the afternoon, so Bill made it instead. He popped the cake in the oven and only then realized he'd completely forgotten the red food coloring in the cake. Whoops! Spencer wasn't too disappointed. We made red frosting for it and it ended up being so tasty. Now we just owe him a red cake sometime in the future. Bill is thinking Valentine's Day.
It was rainy all day so we stayed inside. We're going to take a trip to the children's museum sometime soon, but we haven't told him that yet. For yesterday all Spencer wanted to do was watch Magic School bus, so we did that pretty well all day long and he was happy as could be. We opened presents at some point and he got some Legos and a ukulele, which went over fantastically well. He loves it so much and it makes me happy.
I was going to go to a Lularoe party my friend was hosting and take Spencer along because hey, more treats, and he loves doing novel things by himself with a parent, but due to that unfortunate surgery recovery hiccup I was concerned about getting too far from home if pain hit again, so we stayed home. That was pretty well the only sad thing that happened to him all day, which is awesome because at this age sometimes there's a lot of not fun things in the day, but this birthday was great.
Maybe someday I'll want to do some more things for me on our birthday, but this year this was just perfect. It was laid back and easy and best of all, the kids were happy pretty well all day. That ranks high on my list of good days. Kids make celebrating so fun, and the day went just about perfect, especially considering my less than functional health state.
Spencer is fantastic. He's growing up so fast and learning so many things. He's a great helper. He's independent. He reads like crazy and loves it. He's getting to the point where it's more companionable to be with him as opposed to always reining him in from doing crazy little kid things. I can't think of a better way to explain that, but he's just in a fun phase and I love it. I can trust him in a lot of ways when he's not in sight of me, and that's a wonderful thing. Here's to another great year. Six is looking pretty fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Love that idea!
Post a Comment