Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Turning a corner

June was a month. Boy howdy was it a month. I got an IUD. It didn't agree with me. I'll leave out the details but it took the entire month to fix that and it was unpleasant in the extreme.

I started to get trigger thumb. I did a 12-day diminishing steroid treatment. That fixed it for the most part. Yay!

I got stung mowing my lawn. First time bee sting. I made it 34 years. Thankfully I'm not allergic. At least not in the anaphylactic shock sort of way. But I have a beastly local reaction. Then I got stung the next week I mowed. Then the week after that I got four stings. Turns out we had at least two yellow jacket nests in holes in that area of the yard. They've now been gassed. Hopefully that fixes the problem. I took another three-day round of steroids to help with that. Today was the last day.

I finally got the hospital bill for my kidney stone surgery back in January. It was for $2,000, bringing the total for that little medical surprise that happened the day before my anniversary and four days before my birthday up to $3,000. Weee!!!!

Chloe got a cold and passed it right along to me a few days later. I'm now on day ten of it and it's finally winding down. Hers turned into a middle ear infection so she has ear drops and amoxicillin for it. And Spencer needed drops for a similar infection earlier in June, then Genevieve got an inner ear infection mid June. Aaron hasn't gotten the memo thankfully.

So yeah, June was a beast! This year has been a beast. Who am I kidding? 2017 is only halfway done and it is already going to go down in history as my worst health year ever.

But never fear. July is looking up. My brother is coming to visit. I am nearly back to full health. I started running and biking and yoga back in earnest about ten days ago in the midst of all the health disasters in some sense as a reaction to handle all the crazy and I have crazy amounts of energy coming back. I love how exercise does that for a person. There's something magical about the self-discipline a quality exercise routine brings to life. It seems to beget more energy and more can do attitude. Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to kick the last 10-15 lbs of baby weight from Chloe. But even if not, I feel better already and that is enough for now.

And this has been a fabulous week. We took our kids to their first fireworks show the 3rd of July. Clemson sure knows how to throw a good party. The festival beforehand was the perfect amount of fun for us. The fireworks were amazing.

Yesterday we went to our friends' annual 4th of July pool party. We've gone every year since we moved to South Carolina. Every year has been fun, but this was by far the best because my three biggest put their vests on and I didn't have to worry a bit about their imminent death by drowning. Hahaha! I just put Chloe in a baby floatie thing and she was happy as can be. Both Bill and I got a chance to sit and shoot the breeze with friends. That has never happened before. We always have a good time at this party but leave feeling totally worked over making sure our kids didn't die.











Then last night we hosted some friends over to another bbq and roasted marshmallows and our kids ran wild and we ate good food and it was just lovely. I had to run to the store to get some paper plates and plasticware because I really don't know when the last time was we had friends over. I love hosting parties but my heavens, the first year with a new baby is a total black hole and we haven't done anything lately. It was so nice to do that again.

Today I took my kids to their first ever movie in a real theater. Our local place does free movies every week and this week it was Kung Fu Panda 3, which my kids have seen and love so I knew it'd be a home run. They loved it, of course. Chloe even fell asleep on me so I was able to watch too without wrangling the one year-old who isn't even remotely interested in watching a movie. My kids laugh so loud. Haha! Especially Genevieve. I hope she never loses her amazing cackle of a laugh.



After last month and let's be honest, this whole year, I feel like something has changed. Chloe is walking. That's a huge deal. That's when the new baby black hole ends for me. I still carry her a lot, but I don't have to. She can follow along and it only gets better from here. It's like I can breathe again and that feels really good.

Aaron turns three on Monday! Time to party for him! We have four summer birthdays we get to celebrate and it's so fun.

It's crazy but we only have six weeks of summer left. And this week has been so fun already. I want more of that in the next six weeks and I think this newfound sense of energy will help make that happen. So goodbye health problems and colds and stress. Hello enjoying the rest of summer. Maybe we'll make it down to the beach. We'll certainly do lots of hiking. It's going to be great.

2 comments:

sb said...

Oh no! I'm sorry June was so terrible. And I'm sorry the IUD didn't work for you. I love mine. I wonder if a different brand (or better placement) would work better for you, or if it'll always be a no-go. Placement and removal are terrible, though, so I'm sorry you had to go through both in such a short amount of time.

I'm so glad to hear July is looking up. I hear you on the first year with a baby being a black hole. Sometimes I feel that stretches a ways into year 2 also! But then they start maturing and can be so much fun!

Vanessa said...

This post got me feeling so proud of you. You have been through a rough patch. Exercise is magic. All I can say is Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he added endorphins to our chemistry. I felt so happy just reading all the great things you have done so far this week. I truly hope you can enjoy the rest of your summer.