Monday, November 5, 2018

Big things in the works

Big things are in the works right now for us. Bill turned in his dissertation last week. This week is fall break, but hopefully in a couple days things will get rolling to schedule his defense. He also is interviewing at some engineering firms and we're hopeful to have something work out there. I can't tell you how hard it has been waiting for the last nearly two years as we thought we were almost done and then weren't, repeat that for four semesters. It has tempered us for sure. But suddenly it seems that things are happening and oh, I am so excited. Hopefully I'll have more good news to share soon on both of those fronts.

I've been fighting a lot of health issues with my hands this year and my painting aggravates it. I finished up projects and was thinking what next to do and decided to finally tackle this quilt I've had pinned for ages waiting to decide on a color scheme to make. I only have the picture so I've googled how to make a lone star quilt and then guessed on sizing and started cutting away. I made three diamonds before I got one that was passable. Diamonds are hard to piece! And definitely if you look close a goodly number of points are off, but I'm pleased with the improvement. I need to choose some gray fabric so I can do the last two diamonds, but I love what I've finished so far. 



I showed Genevieve a video of someone doing some art with oil crayons. We don't have any of those, but she went for it with markers and this is what she came up with a few minutes later. She's such a great little artist. Her attention to detail is already quite well developed. She went back and added more details later.


Aaron was tickled pink yesterday when he realized he's finally tall enough to climb door frames. Haha! His older two siblings have been tantalizing him with it for years and he's finally just tall enough. Maybe if he were a bit more flexible he could have done it before, but he doesn't seem to have inherited that particular trait.

I bought a new shirt and I adore the color. Got a haircut last week too, so this is my hair at its shortest. I love it.

Another Genevieve art project, straight out of her brain. No template this time.


Spencer made us some flour tortillas yesterday as what was supposed to be part of dinner but ended up being basically all of dinner for the kids. :) Bill and I kept giving each other pleased sidelong looks as we house hunted on Zillow in the dining room and watched him make dinner. Huzzah!


First batch of rye bread. It's tasty stuff.


We built a fire last night too, using the drum from our old washing machine that we harvested. Bill has wanted to do that for years. It worked great. It's finally cool enough to enjoy a campfire and it's not buggy anymore. Best time of the year.









My kids are blanket smellers. hahaha!

No comments: