Sunday, February 7, 2010

Y Mountain in the Snow

I've been wanting to blog for like a week, but haven't had anything to talk about lately. But yesterday we finally got out hiking with some friends and it was tons of fun! We woke up to rain, which is really strange in Utah in February, but looking up at the mountains you could tell it changed to snow at about the level of the Y. We met some friends and started our hike to the top of Y Mountain a little before 9AM. It was an awesome hike! We got to do some snowshoeing in fresh powder, were in the middle of the snowstorm while on the top of the mountain, and came down breaking trail through a pristine snow field. If you've ever been hiking in the winter, it's not usually very fun to break trail, but coming down a mountain in snowshoes and in deep powder, it's like you can run down and never fall. You feel like you're floating and it's amazing. Bill tells me that's how it feels to snowboard in fresh powder. One of these days I'll try it and find out. In the meantime, we had a great time winter hiking. I tried out my new mountaineering boots and they worked surprisingly well. No blisters, just a few rubbed spots on my ankles. That's saying something for such rigid boots.There is a mountain meadow you pass through on the hike where someone had built a snow cave. It was really poorly designed to keep you warm, but tons of fun to take pictures in. This picture is super overexposed, but Bill's pearly whites show through nicely. Hopefully we'll get out a bit more so I'll have things to post about in the next few weeks. Otherwise, it's mostly just school and homework, so not terribly exciting. Good weekend though.

5 comments:

Bill said...

OMG we're do dang amazing I can barely even stand it! Just look at how amazing those teeth are!

Bill said...

And by do i meant to type so, obviously.

Suzanne said...

It looks like you had sooo much fun and I'm so glad you didn't tell me before you went! Every time i hear of people hiking around in the snow i think about when i was a young girl at BYU and this friend of mine's cousin went hiking on Mt Timp in early February and never came back--and he was a real outdoors-man too--but he fell in a snow tube and never got out...of course, he went by himself so I'm not saying he asked for it, but you do the math...

Kirst said...

Looks like you two had tons of fun...and I agree with Bill you are so dang amazing! :)

Ree-ch said...

Jealous. We haven't been able to do any snow activities with Norah, mainly because Oregon doesn't get much snow. We will have to find something fun like this though.