Monday, December 19, 2011

Family Christmas Letter

This has been such a great year.  As I look back I can't believe how many things we have packed in.

Spencer made his grand entrance on my birthday in January.  I can't believe it's been less than a year since he was born.  He's filled up our world in so many ways.  These days he's learning to walk, exploring everything in sight, and generally enjoying life.  He's a happy toddler most of the time.  He loves everyone, but particularly Mom and Dad and Grandma Jones.  He has the best smiles and laughs and we love him to pieces.

Bill has spent the year going to school, continuing his studies in civil engineering at BYU.  He conquered two of the infamous 300-level math classes this summer and is generally enjoying his program.  It keeps him incredibly busy, along with working as a TA for one of his professors.  He graduates next December, so we are looking into grad programs and are happily anticipating finishing school.  Bill is working with the scouts in our ward as the Scout Committee Chair and is currently helping to plan a Klondike Derby for them in January.  Bring on camping in the snow!
 I also went to school for the first part of the year, finishing my graduate degree in Public Administration at BYU in April.  That was quite the feat with a 3-month old baby along for the ride.  Spencer came to a lot of classes with me and generally charmed everyone who met him.  I worked throughout the summer for my department and was pleased to be hired on as staff for the Fall semester to help a professor out with one of his executive MPA classes.  Mostly though I am a stay-at-home-mom and love every minute of it.  It's delightful to have so much control over my time and the ability to slow things down a bit. Though that time appears to be ending as I was just called as the Young Women's President in my ward and I imagine life will get a little crazy now.  I'm so excited for the new calling though.  I've been in Young Womens for a year already and this new calling will be fantastic.
 We're still trying to go hiking and do some of the other things we enjoyed before Spencer entered the scene.  It's a little different with a baby, but it turns out that with a bit of planning we can still do a lot of outdoorsy things.  Spencer adores being outside, so that works in our favor.

 Here's to another great year.  We love you all and hope life is treating you well too.

3 comments:

Megan said...

what an exciting year! i can't believe cute little spencer will be 1 already!

Rachael said...

have you looked at Purdue for grad school? I can highly recommend it. :-) The wards are AMAZING and the university is awesome--good funding and it's a super powerhouse engineering school!

Jolena said...

In fact we haven't. Sounds like we might want to. :)