I have five sheets of plywood in my living room and a whole bunch of miscellaneous small boards on the back porch. I built some super simple sawhorses last night. Three boxes of screws are sitting on my computer desk as I type this. What for, you ask? For our new bed frame!!! That's right, our mattress has been on the floor of our bedroom for 11 months, ever since we moved to South Carolina. We sold our old bed before we moved here and the new one needs a platform bed frame instead of a metal one like we had.
I've been planning to build a bed for so long, however it's taken this many months for it to come up in the rotation of most important things to save for. But the time is now and don't be surprised if I have pictures to share in just a few days. I'm so beyond ready to have a normal height bed again. It turns out building a king-sized bed frame, while it might be cheaper than buying one, is still pretty pricey, so it's taken a bit to save up the funds. I'm building this bed and this headboard. Building furniture has become my creative outlet, so I can't help but modify these a bit to make them just what I want. We'll see how it all turns out, but I'm pretty excited. The storages bed style was picked particularly because we can use the extra storage space without taking up more footprint in the bedroom. I'll build nightstands eventually to go with the bed. Right now we have dressers serving that purpose, but I'll give them to the kids when I have nightstands built. Can't wait!
2 comments:
Ah! That's the exact combination I'm planning on using when building our bed comes up in the rotation. (Since I haven't built anything before, I don't think it should be my first project anyway.) I'm eager to see how yours turns out!
You've very industrious. Somehow I missed that you had moved to S.C. My wife Lana would like to build multipurpose furniture. I saw a picture of a guy that had built drawers under every one of his stairs all the way up the staircase. I took the face board off on the vanity under my master bath sink and put hinges, chains and a magnet on it then I built a tiny shelf around the sink. I no longer have to deal with my wife's curling iron taking up half the space in one of our only two drawers in the vanity. It feels good. Your a great inspiration. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment