Saturday, November 30, 2013

I never thought we'd finish, but the bed is done!

This project has dragged on longer than any other building project I've done. That might be because it's also the biggest one I've ever done, but then there was morning sickness and two kids under foot and let's just say it took a really long time to finish all the details. Today was the day though and we did it! I ended up doing most of the work on the bed, and I built the headboard, but Bill took over doing the finish on the headboard and it turned out beautiful.  It's a little darker than the frame because I didn't mix the stain well enough when I first did my staining, but it all looks great put together.

We made lots of modifications on this thing. When I originally built the base I discovered after it was completely done that it was a few inches too long, which was horrifying, but turned out to be no big deal. Bill did a good bit of reassuring me that it would be fine, and indeed it was. I just modified the base of the headboard so it sat on top of the frame instead of connecting to the front, which worked out fine. It is a bit away from the wall, but nothing that is a problem.

I wanted to make sure I could have a bedside table, so instead of having two big drawers on the sides, I did a little cabinet and then two drawers. That should leave enough space if I build some in the future. We used to have some, but they're in the living room now.

 And here it is all put together and made up. We got new bedding for Christmas, but it won't come for a few days and we'll probably wrap it up to open on Christmas. We went with almost the opposite of the black cover we have. It's white with black flowery things and little green accents. It's going to look great.
So my building itch has been completely filled for the moment. This was a crazy project to do without a garage or workshop, but hey, we did it and it was awesome and it is going to last for years and years. Woot!

2 comments: