Monday, September 29, 2014

Busy, busy, busy

I was thinking about what to write on my blog this week and nothing super substantial came to mind. All I could really think about was that I'm having a moment of peace and quiet where all three kids are asleep and Bill had to go back to school to finish some things up and it made me think about how crazy life is at the moment. Three kids seems to be the tipping point of becoming supremely busy. It was a big transition when I had Spencer, not so much with Genevieve, and adding Aaron wasn't hard so much as just so much busier. I have hundreds of unread blogs on my Feedly where I used to read them every day. I haven't had a free moment to read blogs in days. When the kids go to bed at night I have so many things I could do that I just have to pick and choose. That's pretty much the same story with everything in my life.

I remember when my best friend first had her three boys it became nearly impossible to catch her to chat. I understood in theory that she was super busy, but now that I've hit the same point in my life it is so much more real. I rarely talk to anyone on the phone unless I'm driving somewhere and have a bit of time where everyone is strapped in. There are just too many needs going on all the time to talk while we're at home.

So is child number one hardest? Two? Three? Eh, I can't really say. They each had their challenges, and the sheer quantity of needs that come with three kids becomes overwhelming at times, but at the same time I have three adorable kids that I wouldn't trade for anything. I have found that getting away occasionally to recharge is absolutely essential now, whereas before it was just a nice thing to do now and again. I wouldn't change that we've chosen to have our kids so close together. It definitely makes it crazy right now.

I do sometimes pine for the future time when Bill is out of school and we have a little more financial flexibility as well as the kids being a tad older and the flexibility that will bring as their abilities to do things develop. But I also can't imagine my babies growing up and I love them at this stage, so I try to shelf that feeling pretty quickly. We are in a great situation now and I want to enjoy it, limitations and all. Every phase of life has its own set of limitations. This time will pass and there will be things about it I wish for in the future.

And such are my meandering thoughts at the moment. For your viewing pleasure, here's Aaron's latest darling picture that makes my heart melt. I need to get the camera out again because I haven't taken a single picture of the other kids for a week or two.


1 comment:

Rachael said...

It's crazy town, isn't it?! Hope that the stars line up for you some day this week and all 3 kids magically take a nap at the same time (boy oh boy do I miss those days!). Hang in there--you've got this!! And keep getting away for some recharge time. You're right--that does make ALL the difference.