I wish I had a beforehand picture of the table, but I neglected to take one. Bill's parents gave us a table they had picked up at DI several years ago. It's a sturdy nice-looking table, but the DI people put packing tape on the top of it and when my FIL went to take it off, the varnish came off. So annoying. He tried to fix it by painting the table top, but he used the wrong kind of paint and it ended up being really sticky. It's been sitting in their garage for years and they said we could have it. I've never refinished something, but it seemed definitely worth the effort. I took it apart this morning and started the stripping process. I think Las Vegas temperatures were a bit too hot for the stripper, so it only kind of worked. I'll have to do it again, but at least some of the paint and polyurethane came off. I want to finish it in the ebony stain we did everything else in. The original stain was beautiful, but it doesn't match our chairs and the table top is a problem as I mentioned.
The table is round with two leaves that will let 6 people sit around it if we put them in. It is solid wood. No laminate here! It was rather old and dusty when I took it apart and the screws are pretty rusty, but it will finish nicely with some effort. Hopefully it works out like I am planning because if it does than we are totally set up furniture-wise when we go back to Utah. Well, for us at least. Add the baby in and that's a different story, but we'll cross that bridge in a few months.
Here's the base and the underside of the tabletop that I dismantled. If you click on the picture you can see the color the tabletop was painted.
Here is one half of the tabletop that I am working on stripping plus the two leaves.
1 comment:
Very impressive! I like to see the projects you are working on. All the furniture you've made so far is wonderful.
Post a Comment