Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Program Sunday

We had our Christmas program at church today. It included four choir numbers. Bill and I both like to sing, so we both participate in choir, thanks to some lovely people in our ward that run a nursery every single week during choir practice. Bless them!

It's always a little tricky we actually get up to sing though as both of us are going up there so who's going to watch our two kids?  It's no big deal with Genevieve. She's just chill and will play with whoever happens to be holding her, especially if they're giving her food. :) Spence, on the other hand, is going through a hard core I-only-want-to-be-with-mom-and-no-one-else-if-she-is-around phase. He likes dad just fine, but if given the option, he will nearly always choose to sit or be with me. It's a little awkward on the rare occasion that I leave somewhere without him and he cries even though he's staying with dad, but hey, he's his own person and he's allowed to be bothered about things. He'll get past it eventually and we'll all be fine. He's totally okay being with other people if I'm not there. He just really, really likes me. It's touching. Lol.

So yeah, back to church today. Another trait about Spencer that is so very nice is that he's super reasonable. He has opinions and he will share them if asked. He decided a while back that he would rather come up and sing with us than sit and play with whoever we happen to be sitting by, generally my awesome friend Trisha who is so nice to take care of my kids. So today was no exception. I asked him if he wanted to stay and play with her awesome toys, totally trying to sweeten the deal, and he wasn't even slightly tempted. He wanted to come up with us and sing and he wanted to sit on my lap. He wanted me to hold him, not stand  by me. So that's what we did. He's getting over a raging cold/ear infection, which is mostly gone, but he's still tired from it, and he literally just sat quietly in my lap for the entire time from the sacrament ending to the meeting being over. It was amazing. I brought some toys up for him and he didn't even touch them. We had a great program. The choir numbers all went fantastically well, the speakers were lovely, Spencer was chill, Genevieve had a great time with my friend and her daughter, and it was just nice. Afterward we actually brought the kids home since Spencer could really use rest more than two hours in nursery. He absolutely loves nursery and I asked him if he wanted to go there or go home and he said go home, which is totally not what I thought he'd say, so obviously he's still not feeling 100%. It was an all around good day, particularly considering the circumstances.

And in honor of Christmas, the kids wore Christmasy outfits. This is how taking pictures of it went:
Hi Mom. I like my dress.

Hey Spencer, go stand by Genevieve and show your cute Sunday outfit. No, not in front of her!

So I moved over to see both of them.

So he squished her against the wall and thought he was so funny.

Then she cried and shoved him away. Yup, that about sums them up. He tries to squish her, she gets feisty, and really, they totally adore each other.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Those are really cute outfits! I understand exactly how Spencer is--Dono is the very same. I haven't been brave enough to bring him up with me, perhaps because I don't know that he is quite old enough to reason with...I hope Spencer mends soon!