We went and cut down our Christmas tree yesterday. It's not that easy to actually go out to a national forest and cut one down, so we went to a farm, and it was so fun. I had no idea how different the native Christmas trees would be here. I should have taken a picture of the farm we went to, but only one of the varieties was even a pine. There was a cedar as well as a couple juniper varieties, and not a single tree that looks like a classic tree with lots of different sectioned branches. They would shave them so they looked like a perfect cone Christmas tree shape. Very weird, but we embraced it and went with the closest thing to what seems like a Christmas tree, the white pine.
The kids LOVED the trip. I caught myself marveling that they're big enough to wander around the farm on their own. Genevieve got tired eventually, but Spencer trekked around the farm the entire time, even carrying the measuring pole most of the time. He was so excited to, in his words, "chop down a truffula tree with one chop!" There were tiny, tiny trees that he would "chop" down with the measuring pole. We got a video, but it's not uploading, so pictures will have to suffice. It was hilarious and both he and Genevieve loved it.
 |
| Watch out, Genevieve! |
 |
| Lumberjack in the making. |
 |
| I still marvel at the fact that I have a redhead. This is the perfect weather to show it off, plus how feathery her hair is. The crown of her hair is always just floating around like a little halo. |
 |
| She wanted to help carry the pole. It took a little convincing for Spencer to realize she wasn't stealing it. |
 |
| Look at those crazy looking trees! Oh, and the cute baby. |
 |
| He was in heaven. I guess we should get out more. |
 |
| Chop down a truffula tree with one chop! |
 |
| They were fascinated. This tree cut like butter too. |
 |
| "Dad, what are you doing? Whatever it is, I want to be right next to you while you're doing it." |
 |
| I could've called this. She was thoroughly displeased. |
 |
| Much better. Spencer told Santa he wanted to open a present for Christmas. Good boy. Your wish is our command. :) |
 |
| The final product. I love how all the branches point up. They're strong too, so we actually were able to hang all but our most heavy ornaments. The kids love it. Spencer is determined that it is his truffula tree. We're trying to convince him it's a Christmas tree, but so far no luck. |
 |
| And this is what Genevieve has spent a good portion of the afternoon doing, sitting on top of our box of DVDs, pretending to eat out of her already finished yogurt container. Simple pleasures. She has a surprisingly long attention span. |
No comments:
Post a Comment