Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Super mom moments

Being pregnant with two small kids besides has been pretty rough going on the doing fun things front. We stay home a whole lot more than we ever did before. We watch a lot of movies. The kids know their way around our tablets and Bill's iPhone way better than I would like. They think going outside and running up and down the stairs is incredibly fun. That just makes me think we really need to get out more. But it's kind of how things are for now and a few more weeks and then the baby will come and I can't help but start feeling better and be able to actually move again, and things will get much more normal again. For now though we take one day at a time and do the best we can.



Last week I thought it would be a great idea to go to the lake, so we did that for our playgroup with some friends. It was great except for the part where both of their floaties worked against them instead of helping them and I had to run over and rescue them. I had tried out a couple new floaties I acquired over the winter and they just don't work that well when your head is heavier than your legs. That's what comes from having kids with heads in the 90+ percentile. Spencer had a blow up life vest and at one point he lost his balance and floated onto his back. He tried to roll over to stand up and ended up floating on his stomach trying to get his feet under him. He would have managed it about a second after I got there to lift him up. Genevieve did essentially the same thing with her floatie thing, only she really couldn't get up. I saw her tipping over and was up and running the few feet to reach her as she fell, but she still flailed face down for a few seconds and scared herself and me. She stuck really close to me the rest of the time we were there, poor traumatized girl. So lesson learned, the floatie things don't work so well for my kids at this point. They would have been better off without them. It did give me two opportunities to save the day, but I'd rather not have that need. The kids still just love the water, so we'll be back, but it definitely pays to be careful and keep a close eye on them. I haven't heard that many good things about swim lessons around here, so we haven't gone that route yet, but we'll figure something out so they're better off in the future.

Yesterday I had another super mom moment. Spencer was playing on our office chair while I sat on the floor nearby reading books. He managed to tip it over backwards. I saw him going down and lunged forward to help the chair land softly. I succeeded enough that he was hardly even bothered and just wanted me to pick the chair back up for him. Yeah, I was like calm down child! I'm not sure my knee and hip are working right after that lunge. They were kind of tweaked the rest of the day, but they're fine now.

So here's to my kids' needs giving me magical powers to move WAY faster than I can about 98 percent of the time these days. I've seen parents do things like that many times in the past, so I guess now I'm in the club. :) 2.5 weeks left until I join a different kind of super parent club, the one where I don't have enough hands for all my kids and we figure out all the exciting things that will bring. I'm ready for it, folks!


I haven't been able to catch any good pictures of the kids lately, so I took a million yesterday and these two came out. Yay!

I have a diffuser I got a month or so ago and Bill made a super cool cover for it to replace the little silver knob you can see in the second picture, just because he's awesome like that. 3D printers are really cool! He has one they just got at his wind tunnel and they've been testing it out on these kinds of things. It's incredible the detail you can get.

No comments: