Thursday, March 4, 2010

Internship Woes

I haven't had too many opportunities to feel the effects of financial recession until now. I had some job troubles at the beginning of 2009, but that was a separate issue. Bill and I have been going to school or working summer jobs for the almost year, so we've been pretty sheltered. We've been looking for internships lately though, and really feeling the financial crunch everyone else is experiencing. Internship and paid just doesn't seem to exist in the same sentence, at least not for me. Bill has more opportunities being in civil engineering, but he doesn't have anything nailed down either. In the public sector, every government and agency is looking at extremely limited budgets and they're worried about keeping their current staff, not to mention any interns. Bill and I have been planning to go to Las Vegas for the summer, but we are seriously struggling to find internships there or anywhere.

I'm really not sure what we're going to do. At least one of us has to have a paid job! It's so frustrating to have a bachelors degree, half of a masters, and see jobs paying maybe $10/hour, if they pay anything at all. Currently I have some fantastic opportunities to "work" over the summer...for free. I'd take a $10/hour job if someone offered. It's really hard to imagine working full time, or even part time, and not getting any sort of paycheck. Bill has an interview tomorrow at least. We'll see how that goes. It's with a great company, so an internship there would be sweet.

Forgive me for airing my frustrations on my blog, I'm just super stressed out about it. Life is too expensive not to get paid.

3 comments:

Merry said...

That IS so frustrating. Dave is working for very little pay right now, just to have a paying job. And he's more than halfway through law school! It's crazy. But things can only get better, right?

Bill said...

Well, babygirl, just think when were all old we can tell the whippersnappers just how good they have it and how we worked for free and we liked it and had to walk to work 30 miles each way in 138 degree las vegas heat, with 90lbs on our backs and dust in our face and WE LIKED IT!!!! you know, with a little old person license, this is totally what happened right?

Rachel said...

I am personally not in the same situation, but I totally know how you feel from my husband's perspective. He is still in school and has been trying to get an internship to get him ahead in the job hunt later for over a year now. All of the places he applies to for internships say they are only hiring interns who have a couple years experience in the field...ummm isn't that what an internship is for?? SO lame. I'm sure everything will work out how it needs to for you guys, but I know it sure is frustrating in the meantime!