Sunday, March 21, 2010

Taking a moment to ponder


I got a phone call this morning from my mom letting me know that my Grandma Kitty had passed away early this morning. She has been sick and in a care home since December. My siblings and I were able to go down and visit her at the end of February and spend one last time with her. I knew it was coming and that she was very near the end of her life, but it is still sad to know she is actually gone now.

At the same time, I know she's in a better place. She's with her family and loved ones. I'm so grateful for my testimony and faith that helps me to know that. It's sad to have her leave, but I know that I will see her again and be able to give her a big hug. She won't be in a bed unable to even sit up without help.

I have so many great memories of her. I spent many summers in my youth at my grandparent's house in Washington. Grandma Kitty and my grandpa were divorced, but through many miracles in my family, they became friends, so while I was at my grandpa's house, my Grandma Kitty would usually be at my aunt and uncle's house and we did many things together. We painted our nails and went shopping and just talked and had a good time.

While I was at BYU I decided to start writing to her. She loved writing letters and we used to write back and forth a couple times a month. She sent me Christmas packages of goodies and cards and letters. I have a box full of them that I treasure.

This last August Bill and I were down in San Diego and we were able to take her to a Padres game. What a fun night that was!

My mom looks so much like my grandma in this picture. Since everyone says I look a lot like my mom, I hope that I look like her here too. What a beautiful woman!

This was taken 11 years ago at a family reunion in Washington. Look how young we all look! Tori is the youngest girl on the left side and she has two kids now. Time surely does fly.

My grandma was truly a wonderful woman and I'm so grateful for all the wonderful memories I have of her! You will be missed Grandma!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. What beautiful sentiments. She will be greatly missed.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful commentary Jolena. Grandma would be very happy that to hear how you feel.

lsj

Kirst said...

I'm sorry to hear about Grandma Kitty. Call if you need to talk. And she does look a lot like your mom, or the other way around. Wow.