Friday, March 12, 2010

New Art for the Living Room


We have lived in our apartment for over a year and have slowly decorated it so that it's really quite cute...except for one huge blank wall in our living room/kitchen/office. (that's all one room really, which makes it a HUGE wall) Bill came home over a month ago with an idea of something to do with that space that wouldn't cost us hundreds of dollars for a large piece of art. It involved painting 6 stretched canvases different colors and then splatter painting over the top all the colors to tie them together and to our rug we were trying to match. We bought the supplies soon after and they have been sitting in our bedroom for at least a month, waiting for some free time to actually paint. The last two nights we finally got to painting, and I think it turned out so well! We had a great time painting the canvases, and last night we went over to a park by our house to splatter paint them. I didn't get any pictures of that, but the final product looks great. Here's what our room looked like before.

This is the huge blank wall. What do you do with that much off-whiteness?!?!

Here's the rest of the living room with the awesome red couch and the rug that I picked out all the colors of for the art. I love this room. I will like it much better in a larger apartment or house without goofy colored cabinets, but the colors and the piano and the bookshelves just make me happy.


This is the process for painting it. I was worried about paint fumes, but we used acrylic paint and it was no big deal.


And the finished product close up.

4 comments:

Merry said...

I like these a lot! Dave and I painted some canvases like these, and then splattered over them. But we painted pictures, not just one blank color. It was fun, huh?

Tori said...

I like them a lot! They look great in your living room too.

Glad you have internship prospects. That was so stressful I remember.

Rachael said...

thanks for the link! I'm thinking that my kids would LOVE to do something like this...

Suzanne said...

It turned out magnificent! I love how you did it and there is just the right amount of red--you were right Jo! Good call!!