I got my undergraduate degree in Recreation Management and Youth Leadership. It was a delightful experience that I wouldn't change, but I have not worked in that field since about eight months after I graduated. It just didn't end up being what I wanted to do professionally. I went on to get a master's degree in Public Administration, which is much more up my alley, though truth be told, I am not working in that field either at the moment and do not know if I ever will. Regardless of if I make money with those degrees though, I will always use the skills I acquired either in church responsibilities or volunteering in the community or in raising my family. I don't regret a moment of the time and energy I put into both degrees. Education is an amazing thing.
Back in the day when I was still working on my undergrad, we used a lot of the Boy Scouts of America's content for some of our classes. At that point I knew the proper workings of a Boy Scout troop of any age and type like the back of my hand. I always wondered when and how I would have that part of my personal skill set drawn upon by church responsibilities. I figured someday I would be called into Cub Scouts. At the time that didn't sound that exciting, but eight years later (omg, I can't believe that's the case, but it really has been that long since I graduated from college the first time) I have a different perspective on life and different priorities. So when I was asked to meet with a member of my ward's bishopric a few weeks ago, I was interested to see what they would ask me to do. I've been serving in the Relief Society presidency for the past year, but it was time to reorganize. I was doing activities there, which is often where I'm called as a result of being an event planner for three years after my undergrad, but I was ready for a change. I've felt like invariably I get called into that type of calling because it's something I'm good at, but I had a new thought recently. A good chunk of the responsibilities we are asked to fulfill in the church turn out to be activities callings. Working with the youth almost always involves planning events. Teaching a primary class is a weekly opportunity to rediscover your imagination and figure out ways to keep kids entertained and learning. So maybe it's more that I'm willing to serve and there are lots of opportunities for those kinds of callings than how well I plan activities.
Anyway, I'm rambling. Back to my new calling. I laughed out loud when the member of the bishopric asked me to be a Cub Scout Den Leader. I'm pretty far removed from that undergrad degree now and few people know about it. I'm surprised it took so long to be asked to do this, but I'm pretty excited about it. No Sunday responsibilities, just a one night a week evening for some of the 8-11 year olds. With two and nearly three little ones, being flexible at church on Sunday will be really nice. Heck, time flies by. It won't be that long before my own kids are in that age group. Five years isn't that much time. So here I am, coming full circle finally eight years later to my RMYL roots. It's going to be fun and I'm sure plenty crazy. I can handle that. I enjoyed Relief Society, but I'm happy to move onto a less gravity filled calling that will just be fun. Now I just need to brush up on my memories of how the heck Cub Scouts works and maybe go shopping for one of those super stylish yellow Scout uniform shirts. lol. Good times.
4 comments:
Have fun! You will be great. We are need of scout leaders right now so I'm wishing we had you guys here right about now so you could serve with our boy scouts!
Good thing Aaron is almost here, because I have yet to see a yellow den leader maternity shirt :) Congrats, you will be great for the boys!
I think I gave my stylish yellow cub leader shirt away. But we do have a family picture of us with Stan and the boys in their scout uniforms and I in my sunny yellow shirt. I don't remember being den leader but I was pack chairman for several years. Now that was a FUN calling! And of course I went to a Cub Day Camp most years when my kids were involved. Another fun memory. Hope you have a BSA office near you.
Lol. I am surprised it took them so long to get you into cubs. Good news, female cub leaders now have the option of wearing the khaki shirt. Those boys are sure lucky!
Post a Comment