Wednesday, January 6, 2010

All I want to do is Coach

So I've had this dream for years that I want to coach high school sports--tennis, running, or volleyball, or even all three. I was so excited to be coming back to BYU for my masters program because BYU has an accredited coaching minor program and I really want to take the classes so that when I coach I'll be much more skilled than I otherwise would be. I discovered the program in my last semester of my undergrad degree, so I couldn't do it then, but I planned everything so I could do it now as a masters student.

Just last semester they dissolved my old college and moved all the majors and minors to other schools at BYU. The coaching one went to the School of Education and so I headed up there today to get a form to declare the minor. Little did I know that everything was very shortly going to fall apart. I get there and they tell me the only way I can declare the minor is to meet with a counselor. I say I already have and that comment leads to the discovery that they are no longer allowing non-education majors to add this minor. I can't believe it! There are so many people that want to coach that aren't going to be teachers. What the heck?!?!

Well I wasn't terribly happy and had quite the little interchange with a guy there who was completely convinced that was how it should be and I just let him know I thought it was a ridiculous policy. Oops....Anyway, I head down to one of the coaching classes I'm enrolled in, which I'm so excited about, and just determine that if I can't actually declare the minor I'll just take the classes. But wait! Right after the class, I go to talk to one of the professors about the program and she tells me that actually I can't even take any of the classes unless I've declared the minor, which they won't let me do, so according to her I'm completely shut out of the program. It's not her fault at all; in fact, she was incredibly nice and gave me lots of things to try to see how to get trained and such, and also how to petition, but what junky news!

I pretty much feel like my world has fallen apart. More than anything else I'm doing right now, this coaching program is what excites me the most. I want to coach more than I want to do most anything else, and I want to be a good coach, so I want to take the excellent classes BYU offers in the subject while I'm here and have the chance. I want the minor that gets me accredited to coach, but if that's impossible, I at least want to get instructed. I've been looking online and I'm not sure that the people I talked to today gave me all the right info, so I'm going to call tomorrow and get the answers about this, but for the moment I really do feel like this dream I've had for years just got shattered.

5 comments:

Kelly & Tasha said...

I'm so sorry, Jolena! That is horrible! No fair for them stomping on your dreams. Let me know what happens. Love ya!

lsj said...

That is the pits! What a way to start the day. I'm sorry sweetie.

Naazju said...

Sometimes the School of Education gives you a run for your money. I hope you can get everything worked out!

Merry said...

Have you found out anything new?

Miss Snow said...

WELCOME TO THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION!!!! Now you can sense some of the frustration those who deal with (dealt with it) have (had). Redirect that to almost all parts of the education field and you will understand why I pulled my hair out about a few things. LOL.

-Natalie